Monday, August 4, 2008

New York is just another place to be, if it wasn't for the history


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



While staying with Katie, we frequented Oslo, a coffee shop with super cute stickers on their cups.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Bitsy was sad to see me leave. Next destination: Prospect Heights to stay with my sister Johannah.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Johannah took me to this pier in Red Hook that has the best key lime pie. Its in this building that has some studios and multiple plant stores.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



It was very beautiful and a much needed quiet spot.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




On our way back to her hood, we drove past the Queen Mary 2 which goes across the Atlantic. It is seriously the biggest ship I've ever seen. Here is a diagram of how big it is.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



The next day Johannah, her boyfriend Noah, and I went to the Shake Shack in Washington Square park. It always has a huge line, but some of the best burgers I've ever tasted.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



We walked down to Union Square, my old stomping ground. When living there, I never ended up taking a photo of my building, but this time around I snapped one. Mine is the building on the corner, but the connecting one is the Decker Building, most well known as the home of Andy Warhol's factory.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



While visiting with my friend Mark, the two of us and his roommate Jenny watched TV with our sunglasses on because with the bad reception, it was easier to see this way.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Mark has a very cute loft apartment. Perfect for art students. Below is a picture of a Michael Jackson bust he made. 7 in all I believe. Rhinestones in the eyes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



There was also this amazing painting in his apartment that his roommate's father bought at a prison auction. Its supposed to be Joan Baez and Brigitte Bardot. Why they would be together? Nevertheless, amazing.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Johannah was in the process of moving, so I helped her and Noah paint a few afternoons, and here is their yellow kitchen, which began as pepto-bismol pink.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




In return for my work, Johannah and Noah treated me to some amazing Chinese food. We drove to Chinatown, and feasted at Joe's Shanghai. Chinatown has an overwhelmingly large amount of restaurants. Most of them nearly empty; this one had a long line. Johannah assured me this place had amazing food. And it definately did.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Here is their signature dish. The Soup Dumpling. mmm. They can be dangerous if you don't eat them correctly. First, you lift one onto your soup spoon, and then you bite a little hole into the dough. Then you drink the soup out of the dumpling. Once you've drunk the soup, it is safe to eat the dumpling, which has a pork or crab meatball within it. They were so delicious, I think I could have eaten a dozen of them.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Next, I spent a day in Manhattan exploring by myself. It was great and allowed me to relax a bit and explore some of my favorite spots. I then met up with Mark in the evening, and we headed back to his place. On the way we walked through a Puerto Rican neighborhood, and there were all these flags strung across the street.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Here is a view from my sister's apartment in Prospect Heights. So many plant-filled backyards. Her fire escape is covered with plants. This is one of the main reasons I love this neighborhood. That and the awesome brownstones everywhere.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Prospect Heights is a new favorite neighborhood of mine. New York trip over. Back to the Midwest.

2 comments:

SISBRO DESIGN said...

I lived in that building on Union Square too!! 4th floor facing the park and 6th floor facing the obnoxiously loud cafe (with garbage trucks at 3am)!

A. Von Falcon said...

I lived on the 6th floor facing the cafe too.. I remember those trucks with great disdain.