Thursday, March 5, 2009

Let the growing begin!

I started my self-sustaining system of growing plants and herbs with my own compost this week! So far it's been easy and fun.

Photobucket


I went and bought a few extra containers that were easily punctured for drainage.

Photobucket


And then some starter plants and seeds.

Photobucket


Then I decided based on how the plants grow which ones should go in what containers, and planted them. Next, I found a sunny spot for them all. Two went up on top of my bookshelf where the cats won't eat them, and the fluorescent light that I plug in at night gives them extra growing power.

Photobucket


And then the mint went into its own window sill.

Photobucket


All the seeds went into the basement to grow. Luckily, my old downstairs neighbor, Derek Maxwell, left a grow light from when he tried to plant a vegetable garden in the lawn and sprouted the plants in the basement.

Photobucket


These plants are a test to see which lettuces grow best inside and in what conditions they do this best.

Photobucket


Here from top left, clockwise we have: mixed salad greens A, mixed salad greens B, Spinach, Kale A, Kale B. My plants will never be outside plants because our yard is not at all fertile, super sandy, and won't grow anything. Plus, a sustainable lifestyle is done best in a city where you can easily be more efficient, so why not hone the skills to do as much as possible with little to nothing.

* I planted these two days ago, and the spinach and mix salad greens are already sprouting!

No luck on the compost yet... it's really hard to find compost worms in the winter!

No comments: